At Camp Don Lee we take our responsibilities to children and youth very seriously.
We seek to build and maintain an environment of adventure and calculated risk to provide the greatest opportunities for personal growth in self confidence and living skills for our campers. We seek to build a community of trust that operates in a framework of Christan practices focusing on virtues such as truth, honesty, dependability, cooperation and care for others and the environment. We seek to provide an opportunity for campers to experience the presence of a creator God, to develop relationships with a wide range of other campers and participate in a cross section of activities designed for enjoyment and skill development. We seek to help nurture campers, motivated by love, into lifestyles of care for the common good.
Camp Don Lee seeks to provide an environment for children and youth where there is a sense of security, love, encouragement, and genuine concern for others. Camp Don Lee is accredited by the American Camping Association and follows the best practice standards set forth by the United Methodist Church Camping Ministry. Camp Don Lee also follows the guidelines of the Darkness to Light Program for children and youth.
As a parent you can expect:
- Camp staff that have been through a criminal and drug history background check as well as a drug screening upon arrival to camp.
- Camp staff that have been trained to follow appropriate interpersonal boundaries and behaviours in matters such as dress code, language and demonstration of affection and encouragement
- Camp staff that have valid certifications in CPR and First Aid
- Camp staff that are at least 18 years of age and trained to behave in a responsible and professional manner expected of an adult
- Two adult staff members to be present at all times during any program event or activity
- Camp staff who have attended and participated in an orientation in which they learned policies for the prevention and reporting of child abuse (both at camp or back home)
- All paid staff and volunteers are at least 3 years of age or older than the campers they are assigned to care for
- All employees responsible in leading or caring for children/ youth are over the age of 18
- All counseling sessions and one-on-one talks are done through an open door policy to ensure that they are still in sight of others at all times
- Separate sleeping areas for adults and campers, or the two adult policy is carried out
Camp Don Lee has established staff positions for additional 24 hour supervision of staff to ensure their compliance of all Don Lee policies.